In the process of developing many residencies and curriculums working with NYC Public School students that either offer pure experience in art skills or integrate theater, movement, and music with academics, I have developed a soft spot in my heart for working directly with teachers. Through Bank Street College, Young Audiences NY, and Readers Theater Workshop I have created experiential Professional Development workshops for educators that provide intimate experiences with the arts of improvisation, theater, percussion, movement, and song. I find teachers in general to be hungry for their own creative experience and expression, and then, once having had experience, to be willing to introduce and incorporate this work of physical / experiential learning into their own teaching.
Below are some of the Professional Development Workshops I have created.
* The Meeting Ground: Creativity in the Classroom — ongoing Coaching and Professional Development at Emma Lazarus International High School (through Young Audiences NY)
- The Art of the Song: Poetry, Movement, Rhythm, and Ensemble — Integrating the Arts and Literacy
I have created many versions of The Art of the Song workshop using the songs: Way Over Yonder, I Feel the Earth Move, If I Only Had A brain, Shiver Me Timbers, Amazing grace, and I Found Me a Cat. What follows is an example curriculum:
- Freeing the Instrument: Improvisational Movement and Theater for Educators
Other workshop titles include:
- Improvisational Movement and Theater — Ensemble Practice
- Movement and Text — Play and Writing
- Theater Arts in the Classroom
- Poetry and Performance — Body, Rhythm, and Sound
- Theater, Music, and Movement — Experiential Learning in the Classroom
- Connecting to Literacy through the Arts
- Expressing and Connecting to Emotions through the Arts
- Community Building Through Theater Training
- Brainstorming Ideas about Safety
- Story, text, and Character: Autobiography as the Source
- Character, Perspective, and Respect – Seeing From Many Places
- Rhythm and Math
Please contact me if you are interested in offering any of these workshops or if you would like me to develop something to meet your needs.